Retiring in Palawan is not that really difficult for us. It just through research we come up our decision.
We sold everything we had in the US before leaving and packed the important things we can use in the soon to be our next home Palawan Last Frontier On Earth.
Some people we know are in awe how did we decide and handpicked to retire in Palawan Island. Though some will certainly plan their retirement or even see the place first before the big decision will be made which is not a bad idea ours was different.
Well, in our case we don’t have a lot of baggage, like kids to consider and among others. We have been living the cowboy and cowgirl ways, we mostly have lived in the truck all the time.
We did not accumulate all kinds of furniture or important things we are afraid to lost or left behind us. A sum of eighteen (18) Balikbayan Boxes mostly a truck tools were sent to the Philippines. Some of our things were given to the neighbors, cars and house were sold before we left. We stayed 3 weeks in the hotel and packed all our things in our luggage. We left United States of America with each one of us brought one small hand carry suitcase and one big checked in luggage.
But before we left we had around a year or two contemplating and researching the place called Palawan the Last Frontier on Earth.
The following are some of the important things we considered in our decision making:
- Access to Medical Care – In our research there are three hospitals we can go to. These are Adventist Hospital, Coop Hospital and Public Hospital of Palawan.- In our research, we did not have any idea how much the professional fee for a check-up would be. We only compared the fee to Cebu City which has a very good Medical Care maybe next to Manila. We were saying this because, we have friends in Cebu City who have knowledge of Medical expenses and at one time one membery of the family had total thyroid remove for just less than P100, 000.
- Food Supply– For some availability of the food is very critical point. Well, in us we ate grilled fish, chicken fillet and some beef. We have some selected vegetables to eat as well and we are certain we can raised them. For the fish alone, we know Palawan Island has a lot. Where did we know this information? Just from friends who use to live in the place.
- Environment – We know through research that Palawan is ecologically balanced, rich in biodiversity and protected areas. We have watched all kinds of videos related to Palawan Island. By looking at the videos, we are loving it already. Palawan Island being named as the number island in the world by the higly recognized magazine make us believe that it is indeed a superb island.
- Cost of Living – Every retiree considered first the cost of living in a place where he/she is planning to live. Did we know the cost of living in Palawan before moving here? The answer is NO, we did not read any article about cost of living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
- Safety– In our researched Palawan Island has almost zero crime rate. Well, there was one big instance of kidnapping way back when but that does not affect our decision in retiring here.
All of the 5 important things we considered in our retirement were met based on our research. Since we are living here one year and six months, we are going to publish another article for the details and our experience in Palawan the Last Frontier On Earth.